Breaking
Tue. Apr 16th, 2024

The desired peace is yet to be restored as Mali extends the state of emergency in the country by six months. The additional six months will be due on October 31st, the country sets to continue its battle against numerous killings in the society.

The decree, which was meant to expire on Saturday required extra powers to security forces and restricts public gatherings. This is as a result of lack of peace despite the state of emergency status. The country’s troubled north has witnessed a spate of deadly strikes despite the emergency.

Over the years, the country has undertaken emergency state which tends to be extended if the target goal has not been achieved. This measure has been renewed several times since terrorists stormed the Radisson Blu hotel in Bamako in November 2015, killing 20 people.

It was reported last month that armed men killed five soldiers and injured 10 others in an attack on an army post in the tense Timbuktu region.

Also, PEACE keepers in Mali are enduring daily attacks from militants thriving on the anarchy prevailing in the country. In addition, two attacks have been recorded this week, which left several members of the United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Mali (Minusma) and civilians injured.

It was also confirmed that a vehicle belonging to the peacekeeping mission has struck an improvised explosive device or mine about 30 kilometres south of Tessalit in the Kidal region. The vehicle which was part of an escort of a logistics convoy, has been damaged. Similarly, unidentified armed men have targeted positions of the Malian Armed Forces and the National Guard at Gourma Rharous, located about 120 kilometres east of the capital Timbuktu.

Mahamat Saleh Annadif, Minusma head said:
“There is hardly a day when reports of abominable acts of terrorism committed by enemies of peace and this country and its people are not received, their goal is to impose the reign of violence and chaos. Mali has been in turmoil since a coup in 2012.”
He furtherdescribed the attacks as cowardly explaining that only cowards stay in the dark to fight.

This year has recorded numerous attacks. Armed groups have carried out a wave of killings in central Mali since January 2017. The killings, by unidentified armed groups, self-defense militias, and, to a lesser extent, government soldiers, have resulted in at least 52 deaths. It has also led to the displacement of over 10,000 people, and dramatically elevated ethnic tensions. Malian authorities have been trying to investigate and prosecute all those responsible for the attacks.

Just of recent, Corinne Dufka, associate Africa director at Human Rights Watch said:
“Violence since January fueled by explosive ethnic tensions has swept across central Mali, leaving dozens dead. The Malian government should ramp up efforts to stop this violence by vigorously prosecuting the killings and stepping up patrols to protect vulnerable populations.”

The Malian government has called for assistance from international peace making organisation to come to their rescue. The government confirmed that despite the state of emergency, attacks still took place which led to the extension of the state of emergency. Malians have been promised that soon, the attacks will become a history.

By

Related Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *